Monday, September 14, 2009

EDWIN COPPERPOT -- Put a fork in him, he's done!

I'm happy to report the story of EDWIN COPPERPOT is complete! I wrote the ending just last night and I love it! It turned out exactly how I pictured it in my head, perhaps even a bit better! So, the story of Edwin is finished, but technically I still have to edit. I'm one of those bizarre people who actually loves editing, so I'm excited to dig into this. There are not too many changes I need to make. I tried to go back and change things as I went along this time, making my life easier when all is said and done.

All my books are close to my heart and Edwin is no exception. This story is about fate, asking if it's possible to change our own. When I finished the story last night I now understand why I so needed to write it. Mulling things over, I realized I changed my own fate when I wrote my first novel, Nightshade City, having no idea when I finished it, that it would someday be a published novel being read by others. I just kept working and hoping, even praying, that it would someday see the light of day. It made me understand not only the importance of following our dreams, but the significance of doggedly working to achieve them, even when you start to think the only word you'll ever hear in regards to your efforts is "no". I'm a stronger person for it and for that I will forever be thankful.

Alright, no more dramatic introspection! Time for fun! Halloween is soon approaching, making now a perfect time to take a bite out of ol' Edwin (in the editing sense of course) and all his creepy, rotting cohorts. I'm so excited to wrap this one up completely, handing it over to my agent in a cobweb covered trick-or-treat bag, sprinkled with icky spiders! Too much, you say? Okay, maybe I'll just email it instead...

xoxo -- Hilary


Walking along a steep embankment, Edwin looked up at the sky. "No stars," he said. "That's one thing I dearly miss of our living days--stars."

Stopping along the water's edge, he leaned against the railing and peered down at the choppy waves below, wondering what dead creatures from long ago swam in its murky depths. He watched intently as a decaying hagfish leapt from the water. It had a wolf eel clenched in its teeth. Edwin supposed even dead fish felt the urge to eat. He swore the thing eyeballed him before plummeting back into the purple sea.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on typing The End. It always feels weird for me when I finish something....like I miss it a bit, you know?

    But you love the editing, so Edwin still gets to be with you for a while.

    Good luck!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY on typing the end!! GO YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Storyqueen -- Thanks so much! I feel exactly the same way! I told my agent I was sad about it. I really love the characters in this book and when all is said and done I will miss them. Now that I'm getting into the edits, I will be spending a bit more time w/Edwin. He's says he's got a little more to say!

    Jen -- Thanks! In honor of it, I'm sending my rats to Germany to give you a big kiss and then steal your tacos! They should be there in a few days! Ha, ha!

    xoxo -- Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing, Hilary. Love the excerpt. You're a writing machine! So wonderful for your career. I can't wait to see a row of Hilary Wagner books on a shelf near me!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message after the beep...BEEP!